The role of a Justice of the Peace :

  • Justice of the Peace (JP) volunteers play an important role in the Justice system and provide a valuable and accessible service to all members of the community.
  • JPs are volunteers appointed by the Governor-in-Council on the recommendation of the Attorney-General in accordance with section 7 of the Honorary Justices Act 2014.
  • JP volunteers have the power to witness a range of legal documents, including statutory declarations and affidavits, and to certify true copies of documents.

A Justice of Peace can help in

  • Attesting to the execution of a document
  • Witnessing a statutory declaration
  • Witnessing an affidavit for use in court
  • Certifying true copies of an original document
  • Certifying a person’s identity

JP’s operate all over the state and are readily available to meet your legal requirements either at a document signing station or based on appointment. The best way locate a JP is by searching in the Department of Justice website

Checklist before meeting a JP

Use the following list so that you ask all the necessary questions to have all the information available when you see your JP or BJ:

  • Phone the Justice of the Peace for an appointment – check the Documents Signing Station of RVAHJ Branch contact details to contact by phone or email for details. Make sure that you call at an appropriate time, remember JPs are volunteers, we recommend after 8.30am and before 5.30pm during weekdays. 
  • Explain what it is you need to be completed – some documents can take more time than you expect if they have many pages and or documents.
  • Do not sign any of your documents – you may complete the details required but if the document needs to be witnessed, declared or sworn the Justice of the Peace must complete what is required and must personally see you sign it.
  • You may wish to take some form of identification. It may not be required but it is as well to be prepared.
  • If the documentation you are requiring originated outside Australia, check that a Australian Justice of the Peace can complete it for you some documents may require to be signed by a Public Notary…
  • Do you need to have an additional witness that you need to bring, as some documents require this in Victoria, i.e. Powers of Attorney, Medical Treatment Decision Maker, etc.?